Friday afternoon I went to a friends house for the weekend. He lives next to the Edisto River Preserve. Below is an overview of what we did.
- Friday: Setup.
- I hung my Kammok Roo double nest hammock, mosquito net and rain-fly. The trees were a little too far apart so my rain-fly was a little too low.
- We watched Mad Max: Fury Road.
- Saturday: We floated down the river in inner tubes. It took us between 4-5 hours to float from the landing upriver to our landing. The person in front was in a kayak and he guided us around snags in the river. I was caught on one for a little until I got untangled from the branch. I had a fun time except burning my knees.
- We fired shotguns and pistols on his range. I’m getting better but I need more practice.
- We watched Tucker and Dale vs Evil. It was an interesting show. A B-rated horror show with funny parts.
- Sunday: Take-down.
- We left early because our host had business to take care of.
It was a relaxing weekend, although it was still hot and muggy. I tested two different stoves while cooking my food. The pics are below.
This weekend I’m testing out the Esbit and Lixada folding stoves. First, I tested the Esbit with fuel cubes and the Alpine stowaway pot. The first cube did not last as long as was listed on the box, it only lasted 4 minutes instead of the 8 minutes and did not bring the water to a boil in that time.
Next, I tested the Lixada stove with the same pot and some small branches. This stove is much sturdier, is easy to set up and has a small footprint.
Overall, I liked the Lixada Folding Stove the best. They both can use multiple fuel types and various pot.
Here are pics of the Edisto river tubing run.