This is one of the advanced races that I created for my Homebrew world of Aquatica. Below is the Pathfinder write-up for the Lutra:
Lutra (14 RP)
Medium humanoid (aquatic, animalfolk)
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Strength. Lutra are nimble and curious, but their laziness makes them weaker than other races. (0 RP)
- Medium Size: Lutra have no bonuses or negatives due to their size. Medium races have a space of 5 feet by 5 feet and a reach of 5 feet. (0 RP)
- Standard Speed: Lutra have a base speed of 30 feet. (0 RP)
- Aquatic Subtype: Lutra gain a swim speed of 30 feet, can hold their breath as long as their Constitution score plus their level in minutes, and operate normally underwater as if it were their natural element. (2 RP)
- Bond to the Water: Lutra gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC when under water. (2 RP)
- Lowlight vision: Lutra can see twice as far as a race with normal vision in conditions of dim light. (1 RP)
- Whiskers: Lutra can sense vibrations in water, granting them blindsense 30 feet against creatures that are touching the same body of water. (1 RP)
- Keen Senses: Lutra receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception skill checks. (2 RP)
- Waterborn: Lutra gain a +2 to 1 water-based skill of choice; craft: fishing gear (nets, poles, lures, boats), profession: fishing, ride: dolphin (or other), survival, or swim (2 RP)
- Cliff Jumper: Lutra are fearless of heights because they often live in and around cliff caves. (1 RP)
- Know Direction: Lutra always know north and direction of their Holt (home). (1 RP)
- Tail Slap: A Lutra’s tailslap is a slam attack that does 1d6 damage. (1 RP)
- Fearless: Lutra gain a +2 racial bonus on all saving throws against fear effects. (1 RP)
- Languages: Common and Lutran. Bonus: Aquan, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, and Mer. (0 RP)
Alternate Racial Traits
- Curiosity: Lutra are naturally inquisitive, and gain a +4 bonus on Diplomacy checks to gather information, and both Knowledge (history) and (local) become class skills for them. If they choose a class that has these Knowledge skills as class skills, they gain a +2 racial bonus in the skills instead. Replaces water born
- Gregarious: Lutra are naturally charming and social. Whenever Lutra use Diplomacy to win over an individual, that creature takes a -2 penalty on attempts to resist any of the aquatic’s Charisma-based skills for the next 24 hours. Replaces fearless.
- Change Shape: Lutra gain the Feral Form feat at reduced cost and look like Large-size sea otters. Replaces waterborn.
- Powerful Swimmer: Lutra receive a +10 foot bonus to their swim speed. Replaces whiskers.
- Tough Hide: Lutra have a +1 to their Natural Armor. Replaces keen senses.
- Water Child: Lutra gain an additional +4 racial bonus on Swim checks (this stacks with any other racial bonuses), can always take 10 while swimming, and may ignore penalties from water pressure and cold water temperatures, allowing them to dive as deeply as they wish. Additionally, they treat above-water cold climate effects as though they were one order of magnitude less. This advantage provides no protection against attacks that use pressure or cold. Replaces waterborn and bond to the water.
- Weather Savvy: Lutra are so in tune with the air and sky above their liquid homes that they can sense the slightest change in atmospheric conditions. They can spend a full-round action to predict the weather in an area for the next 24 hours. This prediction is always accurate, but cannot account for spells or supernatural effects that might alter the forecast. Replaces tailslap.
Lutra live on Hyna Beatha is covered in mountains, cliffs, forests, rivers and streams.
This playful race is evolved from the common sea otter. They are a medium-sized race of humanoid otters with brown hair and eyes which live in nomadic tribes and are cooperative hunters. Lutra prefer to live in sheltered caves, commonly in cliffs, but often found in aquatic (underwater) caves in temperate to arctic waters. Their diet consists mostly of aquatic plants and animals [shellfish are favorites]. A rare few (20% or DM choice) can shapeshift into a Large sea otter. The majority of the tribes worship the primal egg (like lizardfolk) or the World Turtle.
Their society is like a combination of Pacific Islanders, Eskimo and Jamaicans. They are a very laid back people, but when needed work with a will; vocal, love singing and music; communal, everything is shared. Like to barter and use shells for currency.
ally: walaran, whales, dolphin, turtles, aquatic mammals
enemy: reptiles, sharks, snakes, lizardfolk, lemurans
Upcoming is a Hombrewery PDF of the Lutra.
Links to similar posts: