I decided to create a race with characteristics of a naga and humanoid. This will be a Pathfinder advanced player race with average to advanced RP.
I will be taking my information from recorded legends of this race. One of my major points will be that the serpent races are all related so will be considered one race, that is separated by clan/caste. (ex: naga, yuan-ti, serpentfolk, maralith, lamia, etc). Nobles will be able to shift to full human or any stage in between.
Deva-Nagaru (People of the Snake)
Before the Chaos Wars, Naga were a serpent worshiping mountain tribe that lived on Nagloka (Nagpur). When the war was at its worst, during a snake dance, a wild magic storm hit. All the participants were affected. Some immediately, until the next full moon and a rare few didn’t have the trait appear but their children did. The mutation varied depending on the tribe, inclination and nearness to snakes. Because most nobles are dragon-blooded they eventually gained control and became shifters. Others show their serpent traits in appearance and temperament.
Their cousins on the other side of island in Slithoria (change), had a similar occurrence but with lizards during a lizard dance. They had a worst effect, because the predatory nature of the lizards was stronger and all but subsumed their humanity. Many of the lizardfolk became violent and warlike as a result.
So came the war. Lizard vs snake. Their draconic cousins on the nearby island of Dracoria eventually enforced a peace before their mutual destruction. They created a neutral zone around the holy lake of Takshila. The Goddess Devangara created the winged naga in her image to be protectors of the peace around the holy lake.
The seven tribes are as follows (add subtype as needed):
- Marindara: Any N, eel or see snake lower body, humanoid upper. small-medium.
- Nagan: N-NG, fully scaled, snake-headed humanoids. small-large
- Quezl-Nagan: N-NG, fully scaled, rainbow colored winged (feathers) snake. small-large
- Maralith: Any-partial to fully scaled humanoid upper body with snake head, un-scaled lower humanoid body. small-medium
- Yuan-ti: Any-N, fully scaled humanoid upper body with snake head, scaled lower snake body. small-medium
- Lamia: NG-N, humanoid upper body, snake lower. small-medium
- Noble: Any N, can look or shift to any of the above or a combination off traits. Many show dragonblood traits as well. small-medium
See later posts for more on the seven tribes.
I found a progenitor to my Atlantean race. They are the Anunnaki from the new Pathfinder Bestiary 5. They will be NPCs because they are Mythic.
Here is a link to the d20pfsrd for them. Some of the abilities that I really like are:
- bestow knowledge
- mimetic memory
- morphic anatomy
- morphic body
- psychic warding
These are perfect abilities for the Atlantean biomancers. The Devolution ability makes the degeneration of humans in my campaign possible.
I joined the team at the Runkle Plays Games WordPress blog. Runkle Plays Games.
If you like my posts here than you might like to visit my WordPress page at Pookas Kreations. I blog about: role playing, miniature painting, crafts, paganism, preparedness, camping, book reviews, gardening, etc.
Kangu (12 RP)
Medium Humanoid (kangu)
- +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligent or Wisdom (0 RP)
- Humanoid: Kangu are humanoid with the Kangu subtype. (0 RP)
- Medium size: Kangu are medium so have no bonuses or penalties due to their size. (0 RP)
- Standard Speed: Kangu have a base speed of 30 feet (0 RP)
- Lowlight vision: Kangu can see twice as far as a race with normal vision in conditions of dim light. (1 RP)
- Keen Senses: A Kangu skittish heritage grants them Alertness as a racial feat (+4 Perception). (2 RP)
- Expert Leaper: When making jump checks, Kangu are always considered to have a running start. Also, when they deliberately fall, a DC 15 Acrobatics check allows them to ignore the first 20 feet fallen, instead of the first 10 feet. (2 RP)
- Tail Attack: Kangu have a long, muscular tail. This gives them the ability to give a painful slap for 1d6 + Strength modifier bludgeoning damage and gain the Weapon Focus feat with this Unarmed Attack. They gain no penalty by making this attack do subdual damage and are able to take trip attack as a feat. (3 RP)
- Thick Skin: Kangu have a thick hide, so gain a +1 Natural Armor bonus. (2 RP)
- Fleet Footed: Kangu receive Run as a bonus feat and a +2 racial bonus on initiative checks. (2 RP)
- Language Kangan and Common. Bonus: Elven, Gnome and Sylvan.(0 RP)
Alternate Racial Traits
- Feet of Fury (Ex) The large, powerful feet of a Kangu make effective weapons. All Kangu automatically receive the martial artist (unarmed attacks, 1d6) and weapon finesse (kick) feats and a +4 racial bonus to Jump checks. Replaces tail attack.
- Healthy: Kangu gain a +4 bonus on Fortitude saves against disease and poison, including magical diseases. Replaces thick skin.
- Sociable: When Kangu attempt to change a creature’s attitude with a Diplomacy check and fail by 5 or more, they can try to influence the creature a second time even if 24 hours have not passed. Replaces lowlight vision.
- Beguiling Liar: Kangu gain a +4 racial bonus on Bluff checks to convince an opponent that what they are saying is true when they tell a lie. Replaces fleet footed or healthy.
- Plains Runner: Kangu love to run, so gain a +4 to Constitution checks during a forced march. Replaces healthy.
Kangu live on Animus, mostly in valleys protected from most predators. They have a tribal society similar to the Aborigines of Australia. They Kangu are a humanoid kangaroo; they are cousins to the Lepi. They evolved in rainforests, but left their protection to begin a hunter-gatherer existence on the plains.
Kangu were once high-strung herbivores with a, “hair-trigger” fight or flight instinct that favored flight. They developed sensitive ears and sharp eyes to more easily escape predators. Whether it was from lack of food, population or predatory pressure, no one knows. They are now omnivores and excel in the martial arts. Because of their muscular legs similar to a kangaroo, they are great leapers and use them in their natural kick attacks.
Kangu fur comes mostly in shades of gray and brown, but other colors are known. They are very prolific, twins are common and have few enemies. They are marsupials, like kangaroos.
Tiki Goblin (12 RP)
Small Humanoid (Goblinoid)
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Tiki Goblins are fast, but weak and unpleasant to be around. They gain +4 Dexterity, –2 Strength, and –2 Charisma. (2 RP)
- Type: Tiki Goblins are humanoids with the goblinoid subtype. (0 RP)
- Darkvision: Tiki Goblins see perfectly in the dark up to 60 feet. (2 RP)
- Size: Tiki Goblins are Small creatures and thus gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their CMB and CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks. (0 RP)
- Fast Speed: Tiki Goblins are fast for their size, and have a base speed of 30 feet. (1 RP)
- Skilled: Tiki Goblins gain a +4 racial bonus on Ride and Stealth checks. (2 RP)
- Tiki Shell: All Tiki Goblins are encased in a large coconut shell with magical properties. This gives them the ability to decorate it with tribal markings and gives them a +1 to Natural Armor. (1 RP)
- Rope Runner: Tiki Goblins live on a city ship their whole lives. They learn to climb and rope-walk as soon as they can walk. This is natural to them. These goblins gain a +4 racial bonus on Acrobatics and Climb checks. (2 RP)
- Swarming: Tiki Goblins are used to living and fighting communally with other members of their race. 1-4 Tiny and 2-4 Small members of this race can share the same square at the same time (they often stand on each other like a totem pole. If two members of this race that are occupying the same square attack the same foe, they are considered to be flanking that foe as if they were in two opposite squares. (2 RP)
- Languages: Tiki Goblins begin play speaking Goblin. Bonus: Common, Badgen, Draconic, Dwarven, Gnome, Halfling, and Lutra. (0 RP)
Alternate Racial Traits
- Eat Anything Raised with little or no proper food, many tiki goblins have learned to survive by eating whatever they happen across and can digest nearly anything without getting sick. Tiki Goblins with this trait gain a +4 on Survival checks to forage for food and a +4 racial bonus on saves versus effects that cause
- Junk Tinker: Tiki Goblins use ramshackle equipment and vehicles that seem like they should never function. Tiki Goblins gain a +2 racial bonus on driving checks and on Craft checks to build or repair weapons or vehicles without the proper tools. They can make the attempt with any material that can hold the right shape for a few uses, but normally unfit materials produce items with the fragile quality. This racial trait alters skilled, replacing the racial bonus on Stealth checks. Source: PCS:ISR
- Weapon Familiarity: Tiki Goblins’ traditional weapons are the harpoon and the blowgun, useful weapons on their home, the sea. Tiki Goblins with this trait are proficient with harpoon and blowgun, and treat any weapon with the word “goblin” in it as martial weapons. This racial trait replaces skilled.
- Sea Scavenger Tiki Goblins survive by scavenging for sea flotsam, refuse and hunting other creatures. Goblins with this trait gain a +2 racial
- bonus on Perception and Survival checks, and can use Survival to forage for food while on the sea. This racial trait replaces skilled.
The following feats are available to a tiki goblin character who meets the prerequisites.
- Ankle Biter
- Battle Singer
- Burn! Burn! Burn!
- Dog Killer, Horse Hunter
- Fire Hand
- Fire Tamer
- Flame Heart
- Goblin Gunslinger
- Letter Fury
- Lead From the Back
- Roll With It
- Tangle Feet
These are sea goblins dressed in coconuts (like box trolls). They accessorize their shells with trophies from sea creatures; use spears, harpoons, nets and blowguns.
These goblins sail the sea on city ships with hundreds+ of inhabitants, capturing ships and raiding coastal cities.
Small Humanoid (goblinoid)
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Goblin are fast, but weak and unpleasant to be around. They gain +4 Dexterity, –2 Strength, and –2 Charisma. (2 RP)
- Type: Goblins are humanoids with the goblinoid subtype. (1 RP)
- Darkvision: Goblin can see perfectly in the dark up to 60 ft. (2 RP)
- Size: Goblin are Small creatures and thus gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their CMB and CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks. (0 RP)
- Standard Speed: Goblins are fast for their size, and have a base speed of 30 feet. (1 RP)
- Skilled: Goblins are slippery so gain a +4 racial bonus on Escape Artist. (2 RP)
- Camouflage: Goblins can blend into their surroundings by subtle changes in their skin color. This grants a +4 circumstance bonus to Stealth checks. (2 RP)
- Languages: Goblins begin play speaking Goblin. Bonus: Common, Atlantean, Draconic, Dwarven, Gnome, Halfling, Lycan and Mu. (0 RP)
Alternate Racial Traits
- Cave Crawler: These goblins are born and raised in caves and rarely see the light of day. They gain a climb speed of 10 feet and the +8 racial bonus on Climb checks associated with having a climb speed. (1 RP)
- City Scavenger Goblins who live within the boundaries of human cities survive by scavenging for refuse and hunting stray animals. Goblins with this trait gain a +2 racial bonus on Perception and Survival checks, and can use Survival to forage for food while in a city. This racial trait replaces skilled.
- Eat Anything Raised with little or no proper food, many goblins have learned to survive by eating whatever they happen across and can digest nearly anything without getting sick. Goblins with this trait gain a +4 on Survival checks to forage for food and a +4 racial bonus on saves versus effects that cause the nauseated or sickened conditions. This racial trait replaces skilled.
- Hard Head, Big Teeth Goblins are known for their balloon-like heads and enormous maws, but some have even more exaggeratedly large heads filled with razor-sharp teeth. Goblins with this trait gain a bite attack as a primary natural attack that deals 1d4 points of damage. This racial trait replaces skilled.
- Junk Tinker: Goblins use ramshackle equipment and vehicles that seem like they should never function. Goblins gain a +2 racial bonus on driving checks and on Craft checks to build or repair weapons or vehicles without the proper tools. They can make the attempt with any material that can hold the right shape for a few uses, but normally unfit materials produce items with the fragile quality. This racial trait alters skilled, replacing the racial bonus on Stealth checks. Source PCS:ISR
- Over-Sized Ears While goblins’ ears are never dainty, these goblins have freakishly large ears capable of picking up even the smallest sounds. Goblins with this racial trait gain a +4 bonus on Perception checks. This racial trait replaces skilled.
- Weapon Familiarity Goblins’ traditional weapons are the dogslicer and the horsechopper, weapons designed specifically to bring down their most hated foes. Goblins with this trait are proficient with the dogslicer and the horsechopper, and treat any weapon with the word “goblin” in it as martial weapons. This racial trait replaces skilled.
Unlike the Tiki Goblins who live exclusively at sea, the Cave Goblins live mostly in caves below Mystra and many other continents. Most races consider them beastly vermin and kill them on site. Often using them to train their young in fighting skills.
The following feats are available to a goblin character who meets the prerequisites.