I decided to create a race with characteristics of a naga and humanoid. This will be a Pathfinder advanced player race with average to advanced RP.
I will be taking my information from recorded legends of this race. One of my major points will be that the serpent races are all related so will be considered one race, that is separated by clan/caste. (ex: naga, yuan-ti, serpentfolk, maralith, lamia, etc). Nobles will be able to shift to full human or any stage in between.
Deva-Nagaru (People of the Snake)
Before the Chaos Wars, Naga were a serpent worshiping mountain tribe that lived on Nagloka (Nagpur). When the war was at its worst, during a snake dance, a wild magic storm hit. All the participants were affected. Some immediately, until the next full moon and a rare few didn’t have the trait appear but their children did. The mutation varied depending on the tribe, inclination and nearness to snakes. Because most nobles are dragon-blooded they eventually gained control and became shifters. Others show their serpent traits in appearance and temperament.
Their cousins on the other side of island in Slithoria (change), had a similar occurrence but with lizards during a lizard dance. They had a worst effect, because the predatory nature of the lizards was stronger and all but subsumed their humanity. Many of the lizardfolk became violent and warlike as a result.
So came the war. Lizard vs snake. Their draconic cousins on the nearby island of Dracoria eventually enforced a peace before their mutual destruction. They created a neutral zone around the holy lake of Takshila. The Goddess Devangara created the winged naga in her image to be protectors of the peace around the holy lake.
The seven tribes are as follows (add subtype as needed):
- Marindara: Any N, eel or see snake lower body, humanoid upper. small-medium.
- Nagan: N-NG, fully scaled, snake-headed humanoids. small-large
- Quezl-Nagan: N-NG, fully scaled, rainbow colored winged (feathers) snake. small-large
- Maralith: Any-partial to fully scaled humanoid upper body with snake head, un-scaled lower humanoid body. small-medium
- Yuan-ti: Any-N, fully scaled humanoid upper body with snake head, scaled lower snake body. small-medium
- Lamia: NG-N, humanoid upper body, snake lower. small-medium
- Noble: Any N, can look or shift to any of the above or a combination off traits. Many show dragonblood traits as well. small-medium
See later posts for more on the seven tribes.
I found a progenitor to my Atlantean race. They are the Anunnaki from the new Pathfinder Bestiary 5. They will be NPCs because they are Mythic.
Here is a link to the d20pfsrd for them. Some of the abilities that I really like are:
- bestow knowledge
- mimetic memory
- morphic anatomy
- morphic body
- psychic warding
These are perfect abilities for the Atlantean biomancers. The Devolution ability makes the degeneration of humans in my campaign possible.
Wild Halfling 12 RP
Small humanoid (Halfling)
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma (0 RP)
- Type: Wild Halflings are humanoids with the halfling subtype. (0 RP)
- Small: Wild Halflings gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty on combat maneuver checks and to their CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks. Small races have a space of 5 feet by 5 feet and a reach of 5 feet. (0 RP)
- Standard Speed: Wild Halflings have a base speed 30 feet (0 RP)
- Darkvision: Wild Halflings can see in the dark up to 60 ft. (2 RP)
- Telepathic: Wild Halflings can communicate telepathically with any creature within 30’ + 10’/2 levels, just as if speaking to him or her. The halfling can only speak and listen to one person at a time, and he must share a common language with the person or creature he speaks to telepathically, otherwise the telepathic link fails. (3 RP)
- Mute: Wild Halflings are unable to speak vocally. (-1 RP)
- Keen Senses: Wild Halflings gain a +2 racial bonus to Perception skill checks. (2 RP)
- Fearless: Wild Halflings gain a +2 to all saving throws vs fear checks. They don’t even have a concept for fear, have no regard for injury or death. (1 RP)
- Skilled: Wild Halflings gain a +2 racial bonus to Acrobatics and Survival skill checks. (2 RP)
- Nature Bond: Wild Halflings gain on of the following abilities below: (2 RP)
- Animal Bond: Wild Halflings gain the ability to bond to a specific animal (as a Ranger animal companion).
- Animal Speech: Wild Halflings gain the ability to speak to any animal (as Wild Empathy).
- Wrangler: Wild Halflings gain a +2 racial bonus to handle animal skill checks.
- Stalker: Wild Halflings gain Perception and Stealth as class skills. (1 RP)
- Weapon Familiarity: Wild Halflings are skilled with any type of primitive weapon, but especially thrown or missile weapons. They gain a +1 to attack and may use their Dexterity modifier instead of Strength modifier for damage all rolls (+2 for thrown weapons, and add 20’ to the range). (2 RP)
- Xenophobic: Wild Halflings start with Halfling only. Bonus: Common, Elven, Saurian and Sylvan.
- They receive a -2 penalty to Diplomacy from other races. (-2 RP)
Alternate Racial Traits
- Scent: Wild Halflings gain the scent ability. Replaces skilled
- Bite: Wild Halflings gain the bite natural attack, 1d4 damage. Replaces a nature bond ability.
The halflings living on Dinoterra are tribal barbarians that ride raptors. Their favorite prey is T-Rex, but they’ll eat any meat.
They are mostly a reclusive and secretive people, with a silent language that merges psionics, sign and body language. A few Rangers and Druids have been able to have a limited conversation with Wild Empathy.
Mothbat (16/24 RP)
Tiny Aberration (vampiric)
- +2 Constitution, +2 Charisma, -2 Strength. (0 RP)
- Tiny: Mothbats gain a +2 size bonus to Dexterity and a -2 size penalty to Strength. Tiny races gain a +2 size bonus to their AC, a +2 size bonus on attack rolls, a -2 penalty on combat maneuver checks and to their CMD, and a +8 size bonus on Stealth. (4 RP)
- Aberration: Mothbats are Aberrations with the vampiric subtype. (3 RP)
- Dark vision: Mothbats have darkvision 60 ft.
- Slow Speed: Mothbats have a slow speed of 20 ft. (-1 RP)
- Flight: Mothbats have a fly speed of 30 feet with clumsy maneuverability. (4 RP)
- Keen Senses: Mothbats gain a +2 racial bonus to Perception skill checks. (2 RP)
- Attach: Mothbats can attach to their prey with their strong legs to feed with their proboscis. (2 RP)
- Euphoric Aura: When a Mothbat finds its prey it flies around the creature, exuding its aura into a cloud. This aura is treated at the spell Euphoric Cloud but with a range of 10 ft + 2 ft per level or per Mothbat. (2 RP)
Additional Traits (during Lunar Conjunction)
- Carrion Sense: Mothbats have a natural ability to sniff out carrion. This functions like the scent ability, but only for corpses and badly wounded creatures (creatures with 25% or fewer hit points). (1 RP)
- Blood Craving: Mothbats gain a craving for blood. (-1 RP)
- Bite: Mothbats gain a natural bite attack, dealing 1 point of damage. Their fangs exude a fluid that numbs the site while they drink their fill. (1 RP)
- Swarm: Mothbats group together into swarms to hunt and feed. (2 RP)
- Plagueborn: Mothbats race gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against disease, ingested poisons, and becoming nauseated or sickened. (1 RP)
- Shadow Resistance: Mothbats gain Perception and Stealth as class skills. (2 RP)
- Shadow Blending: Attacks made against Mothbats while they are within areas of dim light have a 50% miss chance instead of the normal 20% miss chance. This trait does not grant total concealment; it just increases the miss chance. This is a supernatural ability. (2 RP)
Mothbats look like a combination of a large moth and a small bat. They have brown eyes, moth wings, antenna-like ears, snub-nose, proboscis, and 6 legs insect-like legs. Normally they are active at twilight and their preferred food is goat (or similar animal) milk. Mothbats are rarely seen far from their chosen herd and often flying in small groups of 4-6.
Every 4-7 years when the planets and moons align and create a conjunction, everything changes. During these 3 days, the Mothbats become feral and crave blood. Their eyes change to glowing red, snouts lengthen and grow Â½â€ fangs. If they sense a dead or dying creature nearby they will flocks to it, swarm and drain it of blood. Rarely this will extend from animal to human.
They look like a combination of the images below. The vampire bat is their corrupted form.
Birdfolk [Awakened] (20-22 RP)
Tiny-Small Magical Beast (animalfolk, birdfolk, awakened)
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Constitution (0 RP)
- Magical Beast:Birdfolk are magical beasts with the animalfolk, birdfolk and awakened subtypes. (4 RP)
- Lowlight Vision: Birdfolk can see twice as far as a race with normal vision in conditions of dim light. (0 RP)
- Size: (of choice):
- Tiny: Birdfolk gain a +2 to Dexterity and a -2 size penalty to Strength. Tiny birdfolk gain a +2 size bonus to their AC, a +2 size bonus on attack rolls, a -2 penalty on combat maneuver checks and to their CMD, and a +8 size bonus on Stealth checks. Up to four characters can fit in one square. (4 RP)
- Small: Birdfolk gain a +1 bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a -1 penalty on combat maneuver checks and to their CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.(0 RP)
- Slow Speed:Birdfolk have a slow speed of 20 ft. (-1 RP)
- Flight:Birdfolk have a flight speed of 40 feet [see Fast below], and they have an Average maneuverability. (4 RP)
- Fast:Birdfolk are quick and maneuverable, they gain a +10 feet fly speed and +1 step to their maneuverability. (1 RP)
- Keen Senses:Birdfolk gain a +2 racial bonus to Perception skill checks. (2 RP)
- Bite:Birdfolk have a bite attack. Tiny 1, Small 1d2, Medium 1d4 (1 RP)
- Curiosity:Birdfolk are naturally inquisitive about the world around them. They gain a +4 bonus on Diplomacy checks to gather information, and Knowledge (history) and Knowledge (local) become class skills for them. If they choose a class that has either of these Knowledge skills as class skills, they gain a +2 racial bonus on those skills instead. (4 RP)
- Emissary:Once per day, birdfolk can roll twice when making a Bluff or Diplomacy check and take the better roll. (1 RP)
- Urbanite:Birdfolk gain a +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy checks made to gather information and Sense Motive checks made to get a hunch about a social situation. (1 RP)
- Linguist:Birdfolk start with Sauran and Common. Bonus: Astralus, Elven and 3 of choice. (1 RP)
Alternate Racial Traits
- Gifted Linguist: Birdfolk gain a +4 racial bonus on Linguistics checks, and they learn one additional language every time they put a rank in the Linguistics Replaces emissary and fast.
- Silver Tongued: Birdfolk gain a +2 bonus on Diplomacy and Bluff In addition, when they use Diplomacy to shift a creature’s attitude, they can do so up to three steps up rather than just two. Replaces curiosity and gain 1 RP.
- Quick Reactions: Birdfolk receive Improved Initiative as a bonus feat. Replaces keen senses.
- Envoy: Birdfolk with an Intelligence score of 11 or higher gain the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—comprehend languages, detect magic, detect poison, read magic. The caster level for these effects is equal to the user’s character level. Replaces emissary.
- Weather Savvy: Birdfolk are so in tune with the air and sky they can sense the slightest change in atmospheric conditions. They can spend a full-round action to predict the weather in an area for the next 24 hours. This prediction is always accurate, but cannot account for spells or supernatural effects that might alter the forecast. Replaces urbanite.
- Hands: Birdfolk gain hands at the upper joint of their wings. Replaces keen senses.
As a result of the Mage Storms that wracked Dinoterra during the Mage Wars most of the birds there were awakened. They gained the ability of speech, greater Intelligence and some hands. They are often tutors, emissaries, ambassadors, messengers, and teachers.
A rare few birdfolk show more humanoid traits, such as arms as well as wings, humanoid legs or bodies.